Numerous times in recent years I’ve had to use Reflector Pro to debug third-party dlls. While this works well and allows you to step through code as if it was your own the value of doing so can be completely lost if you cannot see critical object values due them being ‘optimized away’.
Recently I was stuck with a problem of optimization that refused to be disabled by the usual means that I’d used in the past. I stumbled onto a neat trick which finally did work, but it also clarified what happens when the web application, usually Sitecore CMS, restarts.
I setup a Mongo arbiter instance alongside two full instances for use with Sitecore 8 xDB database. Shortly afterwards I noticed the arbiter log was full of authentication failures. This isn’t a big huge problem, but it fills up the arbiter log and may cause concern wondering if there’s an underlying configuration problem.
Sitecore uses the extensive log4net logging framework to handle the large volume of logging entries it generates. Sometimes vague log entries can leave you scratching around trying to find where they originated from. This post explores some simple steps to add useful detail to, and real-time viewing of, the Sitecore log.
Using the new Sitecore contentsearch api allows you search against a lucene index with very little effort. Examples are a bit short on the ground but using Linq you can find yourself doing something like this to search for an item by name, somewhere within a folder structure:
public void BadSearch(string searchTerm)
var webIndex = ContentSearchManager.GetIndex("sitecore_web_index");
using (var context = webIndex.CreateSearchContext())
var results = context.GetQueryable<SearchResultItem>().Where(i =>
i.Name == searchTerm &&
i.Path.StartsWith("sitecore/content/stuff/")); // don't do this!
This may well work. However you may also run into a Lucene error stating that you are using too many clauses, the default limit is 1024.
This XmlException can occur within a Sitecore site where a general link field contains just plain text, for example a template flipped from link field to text field or just editing in raw.
Clear the field and re-populate with a valid target.
Still much tidying up to do, but a working v0.5 alpha release now up on Codeplex
Please report any bugs or issues via Codeplex.
Fixes broken language prefix handling. Also includes multiple breaking changes since previous v0.4 release in SQL (columns, index, constraints) and codebase (interface).
This is part 2 of 2 posts on detailed Sitecore.Linkmanager configuration.
Urls for sitecore items are generated by the static class Sitecore.Links.LinkManager. In normal use you wont have any issues, but things can get trickier when you step out of a simple scenario.
In general ASP.net, this can be caused by calling DataBind() more than once on a databound control. Also be aware that this is influenced by automatic databind being on too.
Relating this to Sitecore CMS, you should be aware that Sitecore ships with the following line in web.config:
<!– AUTOMATIC DATA BIND
Indicates if the data bind function is run automatically
<setting name=“AutomaticDataBind“ value=“false“ />
This means that you will need to either call Databind whenever you need it, or you can simply set this value to true. This AutomaticDataBind setting will also cause problems with other types of databound controls, such as templated controls. It’s generally simpler to set it to ‘true’..